MY BLOG HAS MOVED

My blog has moved to here.




Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Got Milk?

... and some cream, sugar and vanilla?  If so, you have the makings for some homemade vanilla ice-cream.  In my continued quest to eat more organic, natural, chemical-free, non-modified, healthier foods, I ordered the Cuisinart ICE-20 Series Automatic Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker (FYICSM **my acronym*)  It arrived on Monday.  :o)

After unpacking the FYICSM, I placed the freezer bowl into the freezer overnight.  Tuesday morning I sent my husband to the store to get some milk and cream.  The instructions tell you that you can substitute lower fat milk and cream, but that it will affect the texture and taste of the ice cream.  I had my husband get some 2% organic milk and organic 1/2 and 1/2 cream.

I mixed the milk, sugar, vanilla and cream according to directions, I poured the mixture into the FYICSM, turned it on and waited the 25-30 minutes indicated in the instructions.  At the 25 & 30 minute marks, the mixture was still milky.  After 10 more minutes, it had started to thicken slightly.  The instructions do tell you to put the mixture into the freezer for a few hours if you want your ice cream thicker, so I poured the mixture into a plastic container and put it into the fridge.

When two hours had passed, I took the mixture out.  It was still extremely thin so I put it back for another few hours.  Checking later, it had indeed turned into a creamy ice cream mixture......that is, the top 1/2 of the mixture was.  The bottom half was still runny.  I left it in the freezer overnight and we enjoyed today some incredibly delicious vanilla ice cream.

I'm not sure if the extended length of time it took to have the ice cream mixture harden was due to the lower fat content or not.  It was worth the wait, though, to have organic, low-fat, vanilla ice cream with absolutely NO other ingredients....no gum, not carrageenan, etc.  Just organic milk, organic sugar, organic vanilla, and organic cream.  YUMMMMY!

Today, I'm making some lemon sorbet.  Sugar, water, lemon juice and lemon zest.  That's it.  I'll let you know how it turns out.



Related Posts with Thumbnails