MY BLOG HAS MOVED

My blog has moved to here.




Friday, February 5, 2010

Do you like to cook/bake?

I really love to do both.  Over the years, I've tried so many different things:  woodworking, sewing, web design, to name a few but have never found anything that I enjoyed as much as I enjoy cooking and baking.  I enjoy everything about it: finding recipes, buying the ingredients, making the food, cleaning up the mess, except for cleaning up the mess. 

I'm lucky to have a husband who will eat anything. Anything.  He is like Mikey, for those of you who might remember the popular Life Cereal commercials.  I jokingly tell him that he WOULD eat anything because before we got married, his meals consisted mostly of frozen dinners, so the bar is not set very high. LOL
I'm going to be starting a small organic garden, but only growing a few things to start with.  I'm thinking onions, peppers, tomatoes and maybe some herbs.  These things I use just about every day. My husband  said we should get some chickens so we can have eggs too.  Although I wouldn't mind that, I'm not sure my neighbors would be too happy with the cockle-doodle-doo of a rooster. 

You know those little cookbooks that you see at the check-out register. I'm addicted to them.  Seriously.  I have so many of them sitting on a shelf.  I'm going to go through them and pick out a few recipes and make them with organic ingredients, substituting as I go along for anything refined (i.e. white sugar, white pasta, butter, etc.)  Plus, there are so many great websites with recipes.  I just started a new notebook in the kitchen just with recipes I've found online.

Here's something I made from a recipe I found in Real Simple magazine.  It's Maple Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes.  It is very simple to make, although not as healthy as I would usually make.  Recipe calls for a whole chicken, cut-up.  I only had four chicken thighs, so all dark meat, with the skins on it.  The only other ingredients are two sweet potatoes cut in cubes, an onion, cut in chunks, and some olive oil and spices.  An easy, week-night meal in about 65 minutes. 


How about you?  Do you like to cook and/or bake?  If so, what are some of your favorite kitchen appliances/tools that make it easier for you?  I just bought a food processor, a slow cooker, and a bread maker.  I also have a little mini-food processor for smaller jobs.  Any favorite recipes?  Recipe sites?



Related Posts with Thumbnails